Though not big in stature, standing at only five feet six inches tall, he has become a fan favorite in baseball as he has dominated at the plate and in the field over the course of his nine-year MLB career. He is a six-time all-star, who led the American League in hits in four different seasons and played a major role in the Houston Astros’ World Series run in 2017. That same year, he was named the American League Most Valuable Player and after having won the World Series for the first time in Astros franchise history, he collected the Hank Aaron Award, was selected as the Associated Press Athlete of the Year and wore the banner of the Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year as well. The 29-year-old second baseman, who was given the Gold Glove Award in 2015, has also bagged several sponsorship deals, starring in a number of national television commercials for brands like 5-hour energy, Walt Disney World and DirecTV. He was the hero of Game 6 of the American League Championship Series in October 2019 when he hit a walk-off, two-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning against the New York Yankees to send the Astros to the World Series once again.
After hitting that home run, he wasted no time in praising the Lord for the accomplishment. In a postgame interview, he was asked by Fox Sports reporter Ken Rosenthal to talk about what was going through his mind when he saw the pitch and hit the ball. “First, I want to thank God and all the fans for the beautiful game, for the beautiful playoffs,” he said. He later explained: “Running around the bases, the only thing I was thinking was thanking God and just thinking that we’re going to the World Series once again.” In the past, he has expressed how important his faith in God was while growing up in his home country of Venezuela. “There were times in my life growing up that we did not have much. We faced obstacles, but my mom and dad made sure we trusted and followed God to help us. We did, and He did.” “I grew up in a family that always told me that to achieve success, we needed to have God first,” he said through a translator in a video released by the Astros in 2015, according to The Houston Chronicle. “To achieve success wasn’t to get to the major leagues or have the best season in the world. The best success is to live your life the way God wants you to. If you can do that, if you can be good with God, then I think you will have success in your life.”
His name is José Altuve.
This is the “Chief of Sinners,” Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society International, reminding you of what the Bible says, that “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” like you and me. Just as Jose Altuve trusts Jesus Christ as his Saviour, may I encourage you to do the same. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
Remember, friend, Believe by faith. Share the faith. and Keep the faith!