He is an actor best known for portraying NYPD Detective Baldwin Jones on the ABC police drama “NYPD Blue” for five years, and his leading role in the CBS legal drama “Shark.” He starred alongside Queen Latifah in the action/comedy film “Taxi”; with Taraji P. Henson in “From the Rough;” opposite Robin Williams in “World’s Greatest Dad”; and with Henson again and Idris Elba in “No Good Deed.” He currently stars as Director Alphonso “Mack” MacKenzie on ABC’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”
He was born and raised in Connecticut, and experimented with theater while earning his business degree from Franklin Pierce University. After college, he worked for a Fortune 500 company in Stamford, CT, but became unhappy with his job and moved to New York City to study and pursue acting full-time. After a few small successes, he fell on hard times and lived in the attic of a theater for four months with just a bag of clothes, a radio cassette player, and a cot to sleep on. He told SUAVV Magazine, “Even then I was happy because I was doing what I wanted to do. I didn’t tell my mother because I didn’t want her to worry. I wasn’t dying in sewers, but I didn’t really have anywhere to go.” He could have easily gone back to Stamford, CT, gotten his finances together and returned to New York in a more stable position. But he said, “I was not going to do it. It was a psychological thing. I took the step to move into New York, so for me to go back, it would be stepping back for me. I said I’m going to push forward. I don’t care how tough it gets or what happens, I’m going to continue to push forward.”
His faith in God kept him grounded in his time of need. He had moments when his faith wasn’t as strong as it is now, and he would contribute to those moments when he was not in the will of God. During this time, the actor began cleaning house in his personal life. He said, “I just saw certain things in my life and said there isn’t clarity. I needed clarity and I was really going to step it up and give it all to God. [Because of that,] my walk has been a walk of more purpose — with more challenges, but more fulfilling.”
In an interview with Christian Post, he reminisced about bonding with late co-star Michael Clarke Duncan while on the set of “From the Rough.” He said, “We talked about Jesus. We talked about faith. I shared my testimony with him, and he was talking to me about his developing faith and his relationship with Christ. That’s the one thing I remember most.”
His name is Henry Simmons.
This is the “Chief of Sinners,” Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society International, reminding you of what the Bible says, that “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” like you and me. Just as Henry Simmons trusts Jesus Christ as his Saviour, may I encourage you to do the same. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
Remember, friend, Believe by faith. Share the faith. and Keep the faith!